Bronchial asthma is a dangerous pathology that requires a person to constantly monitor. In order to prevent bronchospasm accompanied by suffocation, it is always necessary to carry a medication that has a bronchodilating effect. One of the best medicines in this group is https://ventolin-albuterol.com/.
Composition and form of release
The pharmacological action of Ventolin is due to its composition. The active component of the drug affects beta-2 receptors, causing expansion of the bronchi. The antiallergic property is explained by a decrease in the release of histamine from mast cells. The medicine is available in several dosage forms: a solution for inhalation in nebulizers, tablets, syrup and an aerosol can having a mouthpiece spray.
Ventolin – a hormonal drug or not
Obstruction (narrowing) of the airways is a dangerous disease, therefore, with its progression, hormone therapy is often required. Betolin-2-adrenergic agonist Ventolin does not belong to this group of drugs, therefore it is safe for health. The main active ingredient salbutamol acts directly on the receptors of the bronchial muscles, contributing to its relaxation.
Indications for use
The drug Ventolin is prescribed for various respiratory diseases and their complications. According to the instructions, indications for the use of the drug are as follows:
- relief of asthma attacks;
- chronical bronchitis;
- prevention of bronchospasm, which is caused by excessive physical exertion or allergies;
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease;
- use as part of complex therapy with the supportive treatment of asthma;
Dosage and administration
According to the instructions, the beta-adrenoreceptor Ventolin is prescribed for adults and children from 2 years. According to indications, the drug can be used for infants, for pregnant women, during lactation, but if the benefit of treatment exceeds the health risks of these groups of patients. Each form of the drug has its own dosage and method of application.
It is used to inhale medicine through the mouth. Assign Ventolin for inhalation to adult patients and the elderly in a daily dosage of not more than 800 mcg. To stop the attack, the drug is prescribed in a single dose from 100 to 200 mcg. To prevent bronchospasm, 2 inhalations (200 mcg) are recommended before the expected contact with the allergen or before exercise. With long-term maintenance therapy, 100 to 200 mcg is prescribed up to 4 times a day. The duration of treatment with Ventolin is determined not according to the instructions, but by the doctor individually.
Ventolin in the Nebula
Do not use Ventolin Nebulizer Solution as a solution for injection or oral administration. The medicine is intended for use by inhalation using an inhaler and face mask, an endotracheal or T-shaped tube. It is allowed to use a solution for ventilation of the lungs with intermittent pressure (under the supervision of a doctor). The recommended dosage at home is 2.5-5 mg 4 times a day, in a hospital – up to 40 mg daily dose.
According to the instructions, Broncholytic Ventolin in tablet form is prescribed for adults and children from 2 years. The average dosage for adults is 2-4 mg 3-4 times a day. If necessary, the dose can be increased to 8 mg 4 times a day (maximum 32 g). Sustained-release tablets are prescribed in 4–6 mg every 12 hours. The course of treatment is prescribed by the doctor individually in each case.
Assign to adult patients and children from 2 years. A 150 mg syrup is used orally half an hour before a meal. Dosage for adults – 4 ml 3 times a day. In case of urgent need, the amount of the drug can be increased to 8 ml, but not more than 3 times a day. A 50 ml syrup is prescribed for adults 2 ml 2 times a day.
If the prescribed dosage of the drug does not bring relief, you should consult a doctor. An increased need for medicine indicates an exacerbation of the pathological process. In this case, the patient needs an adjustment of treatment, since the deterioration of the condition poses a threat to his life. With caution, the drug is used for thyrotoxicosis. In the treatment of bronchospasm attacks, hypokalemia may increase, especially with the simultaneous use of glucocorticosteroids, diuretics, xanthine derivatives.
Ventolin during pregnancy
The appointment of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding is carried out in extreme cases. Use the medication with caution, as hyperglycemia and / or tachycardia sometimes occur in the mother and child. There were no special studies on the effect of the drug on the fetus, but the doctors recorded abnormalities in the embryonic development of the baby in mothers who used this medicine while carrying the baby. Ventolin’s official association with these pathologies has not been established.
Due to the lack of information on the effectiveness of the drug in early childhood, Ventolin is not prescribed for babies under 1.5 years of age. Children’s dosages of different dosage forms:
- aerosol: stopping the attack – 100-200 mcg once, prevention of bronchospasm – 100 mcg in 15 minutes, maintenance therapy – 100-200 mcg up to 4 times a day;
- solution for inhalation: 2.5–5 mg no more than 4 times a day;
- tablets: up to 12 years old – 1-2 mg, over 12 years old – 2-4 mg 3-4 times a day;
- syrup: 2 ml 2-3 times a day.
The instructions indicate that it is not recommended to use the drug together with non-selective beta-blockers (Proprapronol). It is also contraindicated in patients undergoing treatment with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOs). During the use of Ventolin with thyrotoxicosis, tachycardia may occur.
With simultaneous use with Theophylline and other xanthines, the likelihood of developing tachyarrhythmia increases. Joint use with anticholinergics helps increase intraocular pressure. Application with Levodopa and other means for inhalation anesthesia contributes to the occurrence of severe arrhythmias.
When using Ventolin, adverse reactions of the body from various systems and organs can occur. Among them:
- immune system: lowering blood pressure, bronchospasm, urticaria, hypotension, collapse;
- metabolism: hypokalemia, glycogenolysis, lactic acidosis (milk acidosis), insulin secretion decreases.
- nervous system: tremor of limbs, headache ,;
- heart: tachycardia, palpitations, arrhythmia, extrasystole;
- gastrointestinal tract: irritation of the mucous membrane of the pharynx, mouth;
- musculoskeletal system: cramps.
The best antidotes for an overdose of Ventolin are cardioselective β-blockers (Atenolol, Bisoprolol). The most common symptoms when exceeding the allowable dose:
- low blood pressure;
- muscle cramps;
- ventricular flutter;
- respiratory alkalosis;
- peripheral vasodilation.
According to the instructions for use, Ventolin has a number of contraindications. Do not prescribe the drug in the following conditions:
- threatening abortion;
- management of preterm birth;
- hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug.
There are diseases in which the medicine should be used with caution. Relative contraindications include:
- severe heart failure;
- heart defects;
- arterial hypertension;
Terms of sale and storage
The drug is dispensed by prescription. Store at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° C in an inaccessible place for children and pets. Do not expose the medication to direct sunlight and freeze it. The shelf life of the drug is 2 years from the date of manufacture.
If necessary, the doctor can replace Ventolin with a similar medication. Direct analogues of the drug are:
- Ventilor. Used for the relief of asthma attacks, with chronic obstructive bronchitis and other diseases that occur with bronchospasm. According to the instructions – do not drink alcohol while taking Fan.
- Nebutamol. Assign to inhibit the hyperactivity of the bronchial tree, relieve spasm of the smooth muscles of the bronchi, rapid discharge of sputum. Do not use the medication for patients at high risk of allergic reactions.
- Salbutamol. The drug is prescribed for stopping and preventing an attack of bronchial asthma. It can not be used for epilepsy, liver and / or kidney failure, during pregnancy.
- Salamol Eco. Bronchodilating drug that stimulates beta 2-adrenergic receptors. When used, there is a risk of developing a low concentration of potassium in the blood.